Picture of St Mary the Virgin, Gamlingay

Looking at Gamlingay

The Church of St Mary the Vigrin
A Grade I listed building. Use the links below.
Services and Organisation
Tour and Guide to the Church
SchoolChurch Hall Cottage House
The arms of Clare College can be seen on this building dating from 1848 (Clare College owned quite a lot of land in the village.
The Building is now the Church Hall.
The Emplins
A medieval The Emplinstimber framed house. This was once the Rectory.
It is now a private house. Bed & Breakfast can be booked here.
See Streetmap of Gamlingay, ref G,4
Timber Framed Buildings
There are several timber framed buildings in Dutter End, Streetmap, ref G,3.
Three pubs were once located in this area, one of which has an original brewhouse, now converted to a garage.
The Bull is now brick cased, and Jasmine Cottage has a date panel of 1673 at the base of its brick chimney stack.
Look for the the 'Dolls' House' tucked away in agap.
Taylards House (ex - Rectory)
A 19th century building part white brick, part stucco, in 'Elizabethan' style. Kelly's Directory of 851 called it "a great ornament to the village". This is now a private house.
Streetmap, ref F,4.
Merton Manor Farmhouse
15th and 16th century. Originally part of a complex which included several barns and outbuildings of which one was a substantial 5-bay aisled barn. Of these outbuildings, only the brick pigeon house (17th/18th century) remain.
Merton College, Oxford, was Lord of the Manor by the end of the medieval period (1599).
Streetmap, ref G,5.
Railway Station
The Railway Station and one time Sultan public house, are now converted into dwellings. The railway came to Gamlingay in 1863 and was closed 100 years later.
Gamlingay had, during the railway years, a very regular train service, the line being then the main East/West route from Cambridge to Oxford.
Streetmap, ref G,5 (off the map).
The Butts
The Butts. Now a Childrens play area.
Streetmap, ref E,5.
Baptist Old Meeting House
Some parts of this buiding may date from 1710, when the community was founded. The school block with masters house in front, is dated 1848. John Bunyan preached here at times, apparentley riding his horse from Bedford for the occasion.
Streetmap, ref E,5.
The Manse
The pastor's dwelling to the Old Meeting House, a timber framed building dated 1761. Adjacent is a pair of elevated single story brick cottages with a plaque and date inscribed "WB1721". The dwellings are part of the Baptist Church property.
Streetmap, ref D,6.
Havelock House
This is an early brick building (there were two brickfields to the west of the village until the first quarter of this century), with a symmetrical 5-bay facade remodelled in the 19th century over the original front of 1688. The internal plasterwork is of very high quality. The elevations, other than the front, retain their 17th century character.
Streetmap, ref D,4.
Hardwicke Arms
Largely 19th century but probably of 18th century construction originally, some of which remains. The space in front of the pub was once a market area in medieval times and earlier this century a rally point for the hunt. The pub name is a dedication to the Earls of Hardwicke, who once lived at nearby Wimpole Hall.
Also Public Houses
Streetmap, ref D,3.
Gamlingay First School
Built largely by public subscription in 1874, replacing an earlier church school. It once had a spire on its tower, which local people fought to preserve in the 1980s. The contrasting brickwork is of interest.
Streetmap, ref C,3.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Built in 1851. This neat, compact building is now owned by Gamlingay First School, and used by Gamlingay Rainbow Playgroup
Streetmap, ref C,3.
Spittle Pit
This triangular green was once lower than the road level, and as a spring rose nearby, it was usually under water, hence the name. Advantage of this was taken to the wheels of wagons and carts to tighten them.
Streetmap, ref D,3.
The Cock
See The Cock
Also Public Houses
Streetmap, ref G,3.
Avenelles Farm
This building is of the same date as The Cock, being the relocated dwelling of the Avenelle family, the early Lords of the Manor, whose house was at the extreme east end of the village.
See also Great Fire of Gamlingay
Streetmap, ref E,3.
Castle House
Originally of 17th century construction, the house was near a pub of the same name and is part of a complex of buildings, but considerably altered in the 19th century. Its name was changed to Charnocks house by its then owner, Miss Orlebar, sister of Flt Lt Orlebar of the successful Schneider Trophy flying-boat team in 1931. There are several monuments to the Orlebar family in St Mary's Church
Streetmap, ref G,3.
The handsome almshouses were Almshousesthe gift of a benefactor who owned Woodbury Hall. He is commemorated in a decorative plaque of 11665 when they were built for "poor widows of good character". At the east end is a former chapel of the early 18th century.
Streetmap, ref E,4.
This information kindly provided by the
Gamlingay & District History Society

Top of page