ST MARY THE VIRGIN, GAMLINGAY
BISHOP ALCOCK'S VISIT IN 1490
Several days of celebration!
1490 saw the completion of over two hundred years of work on the church building.
Like many of our local churches, plans were put in hand at the end of the thirteenth century to expand and improve the building. perhaps some of the plans were too ambitious, or money ran out. In the mid fourteenth century, we were hit with the plague, see the Graffiti references on the south aisle. Perhaps they thought at the time that the plague was a punishment for not completing the work, and many church improvements date from this time.
The work in Gamlingay was completed in 1490, and quite a list of work was done:
A new High Altar
All the above items are listed in Bishop Alcock's register, following his visit to the parish. Many of our dedications, the saints remembered in the Memorial Chapel and shown on the East window, date from this visit.
Bishop Alcock was so impressed with the work that he granted the village a forty day indulgence! This means that the village was forgiven the sins of gluttony etc for forty days in advance! This must have been quite a celebration.